The Pelham Rugby Club, which has done well perenially at the NYC Cup, had all four of its teams advance beyond Pool Play in this year’s tournament.
Pelham was the only program with multiple teams invited to the largest flag rugby tournament in North America, with one team in the elementary division and three in the middle school bracket.
The elementary team made it all the way to the semi-final before losing by one try. In the middle school division, Pelham White went undefeated in pool play and eventually lost the semifinal in sudden-death overtime. Red also went to the semifinals, losing by one, and Black lost in the quarters.
Pelham won the middle school division in 2008, the elementary division in 2009, the plate for the middle school division in 2010 and the shield for the middle school division in 2011. This year’s competition was the toughest with 35 teams in the middle school division and 25 from elementary schools.
Top try scorers were Patrick Zahradnik for the elementary team, and Luke Persanis, who has led his team in trys four consecutive years, for the middle school team.
- White: Luke Persanis, Morgan Collins, Jake Soifer, Dan Biskup, Cian Burns, Kees Huisman, Matt Biskup, Whit Johnson, Nick Roll, North Westall and Xavier Worsely.
- Red: Quinn Scanlon, James Cahill, David Monaco, Jean Vigroux, Woods Johsnon, Sofia Imperato, Tamio Shibasaki and Adam Razick
- Black: Cameron Ward, Chris Davis, Duffy Doyle, Aiden Sisk, James Bristow, Jack Fronce, Alejandro Kahaner and Quinn Jenkins
- Elementary: Elliot Brandler, Grant Roll, Guy Eustace, Jack Morrell, James Hupprich, Julia Davis, Nick Hibbler, Patrick Zahradnik, Peter Monaco, Max Laval, and Jacob Cautela.
The Rockland Boulders have scheduled a doubleheader against the New Jersey Jackals at Yogi Berra Stadium in Little Falls, NJ, today beginning at 5 p.m.
The twinbill, set to start at 5 p.m., was necessitated when Tuesday night's game was postponed due to inclement weather.
Family Day at Yankee Stadium
The Orangetown Recreation Department notes that a limited number of tickets are available to a “Bagels and Baseball” trip featuring the Yankees against the Angels game on July 14 at 1 p.m. The cost for the trip is $55 per person, which includes a breakfast at Veterans Memorial Park in Orangeburg prior to departure. Also included are upper level reserved seats, bus transportation and soda. Children must be accompanied by an adult on this alcohol-free excursion. For information call the recreation office at 845-359-6503.
- With our thanks to an anonymous Patch reader, we should mention another player out of Rye High School who is playing football at Union College in Schenectady. Anthony Vitiello, a 6-foot-2, 250-pound sophomore lineman for the Dutchmen, will be joined by quarterback Connor Eck in joining forces with former schoolboy rival Sam Goldman of Harrison High. Goldman, a junior safety, this week was named one of four team captains.
- Manhattan College centerfielder Anthony Vega of Patchogue, who was selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the 30th Round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft, has come to terms for a professional contract and will forego his final year of collegiate eligibility.
Share Results, Pictures in the Daily Sports Digest
While the high school and college sports seasons are just about finished, that doesn’t mean local sports come to a stop. There are still plenty of sports leagues still going, and a bunch that will keep going or start up over the summer.
Here at the Daily Sports Digest, we want to hear about all of those sports. The Daily Sports Digest isn’t just for school athletics.
Coaches, Parents and Boosters, Please send scores and information to HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com immediately following every game. Weekly
This week’s sports poll . With advancements in testing, schools and teams are taking more precaution for athletes coming back from concussions. Even former or current NFL players have come out and said they don’t want their children playing football because of the concussion issue.
The Daily Sports Digest is Patch’s way of increasing reader involvement in sports coverage. We would like to provide you with step-by-step instructions for you to add your best photos and/or videos to share. If you see anything in our high school scores, standings or schedule that requires updating, please e-mail Adam Littman directly at HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com or like us on Facebook and post updates on our wall. Marc Maturo covers college athletics across the nation. Please send updates of your local schools or players to firstname.lastname@example.org.