Coaches, Parents and Boosters, Please send scores and information to HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com immediately following every game.
Yesterday the Daily Sports Digest was at Cornwall’s 5-0 win over Harrison. Want us to come to your game? Let us know!
The Top Spot:
- The Seattle Mariners grabbed West Nyack’s Pat Kivlehan from Rutgers yesterday of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft. Kivlehan played four years for the Rutgers football team and last year he decided to try out for baseball, not only did he make the team but he went on to start for the Scarlet Knights at third base and he was the first player in Big East Conference history to win the triple crown. Kivlehan ended the year with a .402 batting average, 10 home runs and 36 RBI.
- Fordam Prep shortstop Andrew Velazquez of the Bronx was taken in the seventh round by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the Major League Baseball draft. The Virginia Tech commit is the highest CHSAA baseball draft pick in a decade.
- Left-handed pitcher Christopher O’Grady of George Mason was selected in the 10th round to play for the Los Angeles Angel of Anaheim. A Clarkstown North product from Congers, O’Grady became a dominant closer for the Patriots this year as he led the team with a 1.22 ERA and 14 saves in his 37 innings pitched.
Sport: Baseball Class A State Regional Final
Game: Harrison vs. Cornwall (Section 9)
Highlights: Cornwall starting pitcher R.J. Berger only allowed one hits in seven innings. The Dragons handed Harrison pitcher Max Bruckner his first loss of the season.
Sport: Baseball Class B State Regional Final
Game: Briarcliff vs. Babylon (Section 11)
Score: Briarcliff Won 13-5
Highlights: Briarcliff’s Paul Henshaw was 1-for-5 with a double, three RBI and two runs in the win.
Sport: Baseball Class C State Regional Final
Game: Haldane vs. Tri-Valley (Section 9)
Score: Haldane Won 7-0
Highlights: Haldane’s six run fourth inning propelled them to victory.
Sport: Softball Class B State Regional Semifinal
Game: Valhalla vs. Highland
Score: Valhalla Won 3-1
Highlights: Sydni Holtz went the distance and struck out four for Valhalla.
Sport: Softball Class B State Regional Final
Game: Babylon vs. Valhalla
Score: Valhalla Won 8-6
Highlights: Madeline DeMilio, Kaylie Dymek, and Jade Fumarelli each picked up two RBI for Valhalla.
Sport: Softball Class C State Regional Semifinal
Game: Tuxedo vs. Haldane
Score: Tuxedo Won 13-7
Highlights: Cori DeLisi and Kelly Ross each had three RBI in the win.
Baseball State Regional Finals:
Class C, Pierson-Bridgehamton (Section 8) and Haldane face off at Manhattanville College at 4 p.m.
Lacrosse State Regional Finals:
Class B, Yorktown and Garden City (Section 8) face off at Hofstra University at 8 p.m.
Class C, Bronxville and Shoreham-Wading River (Section 11) face off at Hofstra University at 3 p.m.
College Sports News:
- Jason Motte of the St. Louis Cardinals picked up the save in the deciding game of the 2011 World Series, but before that he was an Iona Gael hoping to be selected in the 2003 Major League Baseball draft. Motte went on to be selected in the 19th round and became Iona College’s first World Series Champion. Recently he did an interview on ICGaels.com before the Cardinals took on the Mets.
- Manhattanville Tennis star Michael Capozzi picked up another award in his senior season as he was named to the Capitol One Academic All-American First Team yesterday. Capozzi becomes the first student-athlete in Valiant history to earn to multiple Academic All-American honors and the second student-athlete in the school’s history to earn first-team All-America honors.
Weekly Sports Poll:
The sports poll this week centers around local product Justin Combs. Combs, an Iona Prep defensive back accepted a full scholarship to play football at UCLA. Some people are now saying that Combs should return the money to the school because of his father’s fame and wealth. The poll this week is asking if
The Daily Sports Digest is Patch’s way of increasing reader involvement in sports coverage. We would like to provide you with for you to add your best photos and/or videos to share. If you see anything in our high school scores, standings or schedule that requires updating, please e-mail Mark Rinaldi directly at HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com or like us on Facebook and post updates on our wall. Marc Maturo covers college athletics across the nation. Please send updates of your local schools or players to firstname.lastname@example.org.