Coaches, Parents and Boosters, Please send scores and information to HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com immediately following every game.
The Top Spot:
The Rye boys lacrosse team hit the road and beat Harrison 10-6. The Garnets were led by Colin Hynson’s four goals and Greg Stern, Drew Davis and Jack Hasselmann each scored twice in the win.
Harrison sophomore Jake Marino led the team with four goals and Charlie VanTongeran scored twice.
Sport: Boys Tennis
Game: Rye vs. Mamaroneck
Score: Mamaroneck Won 5-2
Sport: Girls Lacrosse
Game: Pleasantville vs. Rye
Score: Rye Won 13-5
Highlights: Emma Brinkman scored five times to lead the Garnets to victory. Scarlett Sulliman scored three goals and assisted on two others as Maddie Kinker had nine saves.
In baseball. Rye heads to Rye Neck at 4:30 p.m.
In softball, Rye will host Rye Neck at 4:30 p.m.
College Sports Notebook:
Manhattan Hopes to Bounce Back
The Manhattan College women’s lacrosse team, coming off a loss to Canisius in both teams’ Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opener, looks to bounce back tonight when it hosts conference rival Marist College at Gaelic Park at 7 p.m.
Senior attacker Chrissy Gutenberger of Stony Point scored three goals while Donna Jo DiNorcia of Vernona, NJ, and Kelsey Rehain of Suffern each notched two tallies in a 17-9 setback to Canisius.
Canisius (4-5) scored the first five goals of the contest before senior BrieAnna Spatarella of Rocky Point put the Jaspers on the board with a goal at the 16:06 mark of the first half.
Junior midfielder Amanda Tuck of Mamaroneck has 13 points on 11 goals and two assists for Marist (2-9).
Setters Bow in Lacrosse
Matt Mirabito of Binghamton lifted his team-high points total to 17, but the Pleasantville University men’s lacrosse team was tripped by Saint Anselm College, 6-5, in a Northeast-10 Conference game in Manchester, NH.
Tom Murphy of Yonkers has five points on four goals and as assist for the Setters (2-5), who return to action today when they host American International College at 4 p.m. at Pace Field on the Pleasantville campus.
Freshman midfielder Freddie Wright of Mahopac is being eased into action, and has played in two games.
- Eastern Connecticut State beat Springfield College in a nonconference double header yesterday 4-1 and 4-0. Ashley Marino (Harrison) took the loss in the first game. Marino now stands at 4-4 on the year and on March 26 the sophomore was named the NEWMAC Pitcher of the Week after throwing her first collegiate no-hitter, the first for the Pride since 2008.
- Senior attack Sandra Mastrangelo of White Plains is a member of the Brown University women’s water polo team (14-12), which visits Connecticut College (1-4) in New London today at 8 p.m.
- Westlake graduate Andrew Mancusi went 3 for 4, and Croton-Harmon alum Greg Carroll hurled a five-hitter as the Westchester Community College baseball team beat Ulster CC, 6-2, for its eighth straight victory. The Vikings visit the Borough of Manhattan CC today at 3:30 p.m., and on Thursday welcome Dutchess CC to Valhalla, also at 3:30 p.m.
- The Manhattanville College baseball team, coming off a 10-0 loss to the Alvernia Crusaders, continues their non-conference schedule this afternoon against former Skyline Conference rival Old Westbury at 4 p.m. in Purchase. The Valiants are 8-9 all told, and 4-5 in the Freedom Conference.
- The Iona College softball team won a pair of games against Hartford last night. The Gaels beat the Hawks 7-1 in the first game and 3-1 in the second.
- At the 2011-2012 Western New England basketball awards Harrison’s own Dennis Rinaldi won the WNE Coach Bill Downes Award. In his sophomore season Rinaldi averaged eight points and six rebounds in 25 minutes a game. Rinaldi started all 26 of the Golden Bears Games.
Weekly Sports Poll:
The last five times Kentucky won the National Championship the Yankees responded and won the World Series. Last week’s poll ask who would win the Final Four in New Orleans and the Patch public correctly over Kansas, Ohio State and Louisville. This week’s sports poll deals with the start of baseball season and we are asking you ?
The Daily Sports Digest is Patch’s way of increasing reader involvement in sports coverage. We would like to provide you with for you to add your best photos and/or videos to share. If you see anything in our high school scores, standings or schedule that requires updating, please e-mail Mark Rinaldi directly at HVDailySportsDigest@gmail.com or like us on Facebook and post updates on our wall. Marc Maturo covers college athletics across the nation. Please send updates of your local schools or players to firstname.lastname@example.org.