.

Myers, Gelfarb Apparently Prevail

With 82 percent of the districts reporting, Judy Myers and David Gelfarb have apparently won their races for County Legislator.

It was still early Tuesday night at Morgan's Fish House in Rye. No poll numbers were available yet and the room filled with the Democratic candidates for Rye City Council, their friends and families hummed with nervous energy. Incumbent Judy Myers was also there, talking with supporters before setting out for stops in Mamaroneck and New Rochelle later in the evening. 

For just a moment, Myers was pensive about the race in District 7. "This has been the culmination of a lot of work over a lot of months," she said. Myers marveled just for a moment. "We've been at this since the primaries in August."

The only thing left was the waiting. Myers seemed almost relieved election day had finally come. Now it was up to the voters. 

Rye City Councilwoman Suzanna Keith put up a valiant fight for Myers' seat. Backed by County Executive Rob Astorino's Republican machine, Keith tirelessly campaigned from one end of the Sound Shore to the other.

She pressed Myers on the controversial affordable housing settlement, taxes and every other issue on her carefully honed platform. At every turn, Keith insisted 'she would not be a rubber stamp' for Astorino. That she would stand her ground on Playland– which County Executive Astorino seems ever-poised to close– that she would advocate for flood mitigation funds. And she didn't let up on Democratic Majority Whip Myers for her role in the 247 vetoes against Astorino's policies.

By midnight, it seemed Keith's enthusiasm was not enough to take the race from three-term veteran Judy Myers. As of Tuesday night, the incumbent held 54 percent of the vote with 32 of 39 districts reporting.

As for District 6, the announced departure of Martin Rogowsky opened the way for a new face. With 32 of 39 districts reporting, David Gelfarb of Rye Brook has apparently prevailed with 51 percent of the vote.

Abbe Fleishaker November 09, 2011 at 04:31 PM
Congratulations to David Gelfarb! Having known him for many years, I can attest to the fact that he will be a caring, dedicated county legislator.
Charmian Neary November 11, 2011 at 04:51 AM
Judy Myers won by close to 600 votes. Not all the paper votes have been counted though due to impounding. These are the ballots that went through the machine. PARTY 55 Districts out of 55 Reporting (100)% Votes Percent DEM JUDY MYERS 5,029 48% IND JUDY MYERS 281 3% WOR JUDY MYERS 227 2% JUDY MYERS Totals 5,537 53% REP SUZANNA KEITH 4,273 41% CON SUZANNA KEITH 680 6% SUZANNA KEITH Totals 4,953 47% Office Totals 10,490 100%

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »