Contractor Shoots Himself in the Leg in Rye

Port Chester man claims he accidentally shot himself in the leg while working at a Rye residence.


Contracting has gotten dangerous in Rye. Last week, police responded to two calls involving workers at Rye residences, including one accidental shooting. 

Last Thursday afternoon, August 23, a Port Chester man checked himself into White Plains Medical Center after sustaining a gunshot wound to the leg. The man said he was working on a deck at a Forest Avenue residence when a Kahar P-40 pistol he wore holstered in his waistband accidentally fired, injuring him in the leg. Instead of calling the police or emergency medical services, the man told police he thought it would be faster to have his co-worker drive him directly to this hospital without alerting authorities. In fact, medical staff told the police about the shooting incident.

According to Rye police, the man and his co-worker initially denied remembering the house number where they working, but their employers- a Port Chester construction company- provided the house number to police. When detectives interviewed the homeowners they discovered that both husband and wife were at home when the shooting occurred. They said they "heard an 'explosion' but didn't know what happened." One of the homeowners said the two workers told him they were leaving to pick up additional items, but did not reveal there had been a shooting.

Eventuallly, the shooting victim's mother arrived at the hospital after receiving a voicemail from her son. She provided detectives with a copy of a permit for the pistol from her son's wallet which was valid and current. The man was released from the hospital following medical treatment.

Just the day before, on Wednesday, August 22, another contractor was injured- not by gunshot but by falling approximately 40 feet off the roof of an Oakwood Avenue home. According to Rye police reports, the man may have suffered a seizure before the fall which took place around 1 p.m. 

Eric Budke August 27, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Sorry to say, but the second guy died at the hospital.
Renea Henry August 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I didn't know that. Email me if you have more details.
Renea Henry August 28, 2012 at 01:11 AM
From Rye Police Commissioner William Connors: "We were advised that the man who fell from a roof on Oakwood Avenue on Wednesday died late Wednesday evening, apparently, pending autopsy, as a result of injuries sustained in the fall. We have not received an autopsy report at this time."
Larry Keeler August 29, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Damn well let be a lesson on gun safety. Dont carry one. Man this is really bad it was a real gun. I mean I have been shot accidentally by an airsoft gun like the ones here http://www.airsplat.com/ but never a real gun. WOW thats bad.
RyeDad August 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM
How come Rye Patch doesn't report the name of the guy who shot himself with a real gun, who wasn't carrying his gun permit when he shot himself, who didn't call the police after he shot himself and then forgot where he was working when the cops asked him?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »