Last month’s column, “Using Energy Healing to Let Go of the Past,” focused on how ‘stuck’ negative thoughts and emotions– often arising from early childhood– keep us from achieving our goals as adults.
Spring's seasonal energy of vitality and renewal is all around us as the buds come forth on the trees! According to Oriental medicine, the spring season represents new growth. In order to make way for this life-giving and revitalizing energy, it is important to prepare the soil. Therefore, it makes sense to prepare for this powerfully fertile season by cleaning out 'emotional clutter.' We awaken with a sense of purpose as the spring cleaning ritual begins this week in preparation for the Passover and Easter Holidays, which often focuses on the home.
As a working mom, RN, Holistic Health Coach and Energy Healer, I want to share with you my springtime Passover revelation, in which the ah-ha took place– not at Mount Sinai, but in Rye, NY– while spring-cleaning my home in preparation for the holiday. The idea behind Passover is that the Israelites escaped from bondage in Egypt, where the Pharaoh kept the Jewish people enslaved.
The connection to the Emotional Freedom Technique, a wonderful energy healing technique that I use in my practice, became apparent to me, because many of us are still enslaved in some way in our own lives.
The metaphysical meaning of Passover to me, whether you are Jewish or Christian, is to recognize the ‘chains’ that are keeping you captive this spring season. Now you can use EFT to let it go for good.
With EFT, it is possible to release yourself from captivity on any and all levels. Whether the chain is physical, psychological or spiritual, there is always an emotional component to an issue. This empowering tool is recommended to try on everything!
I used EFT on myself to release my phobia of speaking in front of a large crowd. I had just accepted a position to speak at an empowerment conference for a large group of women. Just thinking about the talk, brought up physical symptoms: extreme anxiety, sweaty hands, dry mouth, tight throat, and a racing heart beat. All before I was even up on the podium! I remembered reading an EFT article written by Dr. Joseph Mercola, and I was determined to be free of this phobia!
The Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is a form of energy medicine or energy psychology. It has been called “acupressure for the emotions.” By tapping energy points on the surface of the skin while focusing the mind on specific psychological problems or goals, the blocked energy flow is cleared along with the ‘stuck’ emotion or belief causing the problem.
I committed to using EFT 3 times daily for the month to shift my beliefs and fears of public speaking. I am happy to tell you that I no longer have this fear. Public speaking in front of large or small groups has become a joy.
Since this is a common fear, this will be the EFT example to assist in your understanding this tool. However, feel free to substitute any issue that you want to clear. For first timers, it’s best to start with a simple problem. Please recognize that long-standing issues might require professional assistance with an integrative health professional trained in Energy Psychology tools.
EFT Basic Recipe
- On a scale of 1-10, rate the degree this symptom interferes with your life, with 10 being the worst and 1 being no effect at all.
- The Set-up phrase: Repeat the following 3 times– “Even though I have this (State Problem-Fear of Public Speaking in front of large groups), I deeply and completely accept myself.”
- As this phrase is recited 3 times, tap on a point on the side of the hand, between the pinkie finger and the wrist appropriately called the Karate Chop point!
- Then you can use reminder phrases, like the following: “This fear, this fear of public speaking, this fear etc.” As you state each reminder phrase for each point, tap 7 times on each of the following points: EB=Beginning of eyebrows, SE=side of eye, UE=under eye, UN=under nose, Ch=chin, CB=collar bone, UA=under the arm, WP=wrist pulse point, KC=Karate chop point, TH=top of head.
- After tapping the top of the head, it is important to take a deep breath, which allows the releasing of ‘stuck’ energy.
- Re-rate your feelings about the issue to see if there was some change in your belief, emotion, physical discomfort. I had to go through this cycle 3 times daily for a few weeks to reduce my rating from greater than 10 to 1. However, I was motivated and committed to change.
- Repeat the cycles as often as needed for you to move the rating down to a 1 or 0.
The whole process took me about 3 weeks. I also added an advanced idea, which was to not only release the fear, but to also shift into what I wanted to create as my Big Vision. My big vision, for which I created a phrase repeated as an affirmation and tapped 7 times on each of the above points, went something like this:
“I envision myself confidently facilitating two workshops with the union group in which they will learn EFT, have fun, meet new people, and ask me to come back again, and I deeply and completely love and accept myself.”
Now that you know how to release the things that no longer serve you, please stay tuned to next month's column, where you will learn how to create your BIG PICTURE or VISION for living the life you want.